Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
Common Factors behind Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction is one of the most exasperating and embarrassing issues that undermine men's health. This condition may occur in all men at some stage in their life irrespective of their age. Below are some of the causes.
There are four main categories of health conditions that can result in physical problems. They are:
- Vasculogenic conditions that affect the blood flow to the penis. Some of the examples are cardiovascular diseases, hypertension and diabetes. Doctors strongly link erectile dysfunction to heart conditions, so it is the first factor they consider when making a diagnosis.
- Neurogenic conditions that have an effect on the nervous system .Multiple sclerosis affect the actions of the body such as balance and mobility. Another illness that impinges on the brain's coordination of body movements is the Parkinson's disease. It leads to difficulties in physical activities such as walking, writing and talking. A stroke also interrupts the supply of blood to the brain is, therefore, a cause of erectile dysfunction.
- Hormonal stipulations change the hormone levels. Hypogonadism is an ailment that has an effect on a man's sexual health by causing an abnormally low production of testosterone. Hypothyroidism may also lead to erection problems due to an inadequate generation of the thyroid hormone. Hyperthyroidism, where the thyroid hormone is in excess, is another illness that affects a man's performance.
The mental state of an individual can result in erectile dysfunction. If one is anxious or depressed, it becomes difficult to get or maintain an erection. Emotional issues may also lead to erection troubles. Some of them are; relationship problems, insufficient sexual health knowledge, prior sexual abuse and being in a new relationship.
Additional factors that may cause erectile dysfunction are:
- Excessive drinking and use of illegal drugs such as heroin and cocaine.
- Cycling - Men who ride bicycles more than three hours a week may have sexual health problems. It is advisable to suspend their cycling routine to gauge whether the erectile dysfunction improves.
- Medicines- Some drugs may also have an effect on men's health by causing erection problems. If one is concerned that some medication is the reason for erectile dysfunction, they should consult the doctor. There are techniques to treat erectile dysfunction such as the use of Viagra, penile injections, surgical implants, sexual therapy and the vacuum pump method. However, each treatment is dependent on the cause of the dysfunction.